Using the Windows Disk defragmenter utility
Windows has a built in utility for speeding up the applications on your hard drive. Most casual users aren't aware of it or what it does and I won't explain that here. The purpose of this page is to guide you through the process of performing the disk defragmenter procedure so here we go...
- Click on the start icon in the lower left side of the Taskbar.
- Click on 'Programs'.
- Click on 'Accessories' and then on 'System Tools'.
- Click on 'Disk Defragmenter' and in the accompanying popup dialog, choose the drive (typically "(C:)") you wish to defrag.
- Click 'OK' and you're off and running!.
- After the Disk Defragmenter is done, click on 'Close' if your finished or choose the next drive and repeat steps 4 through 6.
Congratulations! You just performed one of the basic maintenance procedures that keeps Windows 95/98 running at it's best! Good job!
Back to the free resources page.